Friday 9 August 2013

In India you are either an engineer or a doctor or you are nothing

Let's admit it guys, as part of our great Indian culture, our parents directly or indirectly brain wash us into believing this, that you are either a doctor or an engineer or you are nothing.

Let's say we give into that pressure and go through the ordeals of preparing for IIT-JEE, AIEEE, AIPMT and all those state exams and what not, some of us lucky ones clear the exams & qualify for the top institutes.

Some get into the private institutes and some are backed up by their parents support (you know what I mean)

We all slog through our curriculum, which I must admit is the worst thing one can do. Me for example, I loved to code but after finishing my B.E (Computer Science) used to hate even the idea of coding, ya that's what our great education did to me! I still remember this one incident, I was coding a program I had written and the teacher came near me and saw it, the reaction to which was "You do the program which mam gave you, else I'll kick you out of the lab!!" That's the kind of teachers we have in the country, no wonder ppl just stop doing what they actually want. Ok that's the college part.

After my college days, I tried hard to find the job of a programmer when every one else was happy settling being a tester or being in the support team, yes that's the favourite thing you can do after finishing ur B.E in India. I got the job of a programmer but fate had a nice surprise for me. I was blessed with the best Boss & team one can hope for in the whole world, and as life progressed my career took a turn towards marketing which I liked so much better then coding. So I was always excited and energetic and oh being in a startup was exhilarating and I must add the perks of being at Microsoft Accelerator just added more sweetness to my whole experience, so yes I loved marketing and the world of startups. My family had its little doubts about me being in a startup and not pursuing a corporate infy/tcs types job as every other Tom, Dick & Harry was doing.

My company grew well and it was really good to be the part of the team and we made a $2million exit. Which all worked out very well.

So by now I had come to accept my life as an Online Marketeer and not a Programmer. To hone my skills, I chose to work at another startup. I chose E-commerce this time as I knew, all the things I lacked in my skill set, I will be able to learn and develop them here. Yes the hours are long and hard but even when I come home at the end of the day, I am not tired or brain dead, in fact I am still buzzing with lots of thoughts and ideas as to what I would do next, so in short one can say I am happy.

But my family is again pressurising me to look for a corporate job. Can't they see I am happy here. I have a good job, a good boss, a decent salary and most important of all, I AM HAPPY!

Then why are my parents again trying to push me towards this corporate job thingy???

When will this sad endless saga of "you are either an engineer or a doctor or you are nothing" end??

Are we forever doomed to sing
"Saari umar hum
Mar mar ke jee liye
Ek pal to ab humein jeene do
Jeene do"

When will our families realise that the type of life their child wants to live is his/her choice & if he/she is happy, then just let them be... 

2 comments:

  1. Our Parents live for society and others too live for society..... Thats we are forced to do what others do...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ya, that's true, and its very hard to convince them to see our point of view, i try to explain again n again to my parents, sometimes they do understand my points, but after few days, the society again sows this seed of fear in their minds...

      Delete